   Re: [xml-dev] Logical models, hierarchy, network model

"Rick Marshall" wrote
> level 0. is the physical level. this has to be designed to meet the
> performance requirements of the levels above it.
>
> my choice (because of the next few layers): rows of n-ary relations
> (matching the logical layer). (this implies they're all the same shape).
> multi-indexed with b+ trees.

There has been some interesting research about other index structures for XML.

This paper describes an indexing scheme for XPath that supports all axes. It
uses a preorder and postorder traversal of the document tree and creates a table
of node descriptors. It works with r-tree or b-tree indexing, but delivers
better performance with r-trees.
http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/~grust/files/xpath-accel.pdf

This presentation from a workshop last month describes a multi-dimensional
approach to indexing XML. The
authors experimented with several different index structures:
http://www.cs.vsb.cz/dateso/2004/slides/kratky.pps

www.WebServicesSummit.com
www.SQLSummit.com
www.GridSummit.com