   RE: [xml-dev] Why is it important to distinguish between an extensible v

Title: Message
You said it:  an evolvable system can accrete new features, although I am uncertain if novelty is required.

However, to be evolution in the strictest sense, it must be a feature which subsequent copies or inheritors
of the system propagate.  I'll call that 'viability' meaning this is a feature that will cause this system
to be selected more often than siblings/versions without it,and therefore increases the frequency of
occurrence of the system.  Evolution deals with populations.  One should also point out as Jarron
Lanier has, the time scale over which biological evolution works.  Anyway, let me pose the following
qualties because they characterize control types:

1.  Random evolution:  a feature is added by a mistake.  May be viable.
2.  Directed evolution:  a feature is added by intension.   Is viable or else is a mistake.
3.  Emergence:  a feature is added by a coupling of intensions and/or mistakes. Is viable by definition.

BTW: have you considered

o  what happens if one routes values to the frequency and occurrence indicators of
    a schema or a schema of schemas?

o  that your *related to* is a typed URI to a resource and you are delving into Page Rank as a
    selector for services?

len

From: Roger L. Costello [mailto:costello@mitre.org]
The ability of a system to dynamically adapt and evolve to support capabilities that were never imagined by the system designers ... ah, now that's what I want out of a system!

So, why do I ask [about the distinction between extensible versus evolvable]?  Answer: I want us to (colllectively) identify the fundamental differences and characteristics of an extensible system versus an evolvable system.

Comments?