   RE: [xml-dev] InfoWorld agrees with Elliote Rusty Harold: W3C XForms The

I dunno.  Micah is good, yes.  XForms is good, but yet
another forms technology and I've seen lots of these.
Elliote could be right but it's early yet and most
are still using IE.

The part of Elliote's article I ignored was the 'MS killer'
bit.  It seems to me that is the wrong reason to do this
sort of thing.  Each to their own on that, but XForms
success won't come about because some few want to knock
off Microsoft.  Too many others need them and the "we
must do this to save the web" rant just doesn't fire
many users up.  Never will.  That part of web history
is over.

The part I did pay attention to was his position on where
the semantic web is or will be, and on that, I agree.  It
occurs to me that the Semantic Web may be Berners-Lee's
SGML/HyTime:  something that gets long in the tooth and
awkward over time as it awaits a market, then when a
global need for such comes along, someone strips it down to the
basic necessary parts and succeeds wildly.  Google is
succeeding wildly based on what humans need.  What humans
need the machines to do with a semantic web seems to be
the missing ingredient.

len

From: Michael Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

On May 27, 2004, at 9:22 PM, Micah Dubinko wrote:

> I've often thought about just such a thing:

This is a couple of weeks old, but apparently InfoWorld appreciates
what Micah has been thinking and doing about XForms
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/05/21/21FEinnov5_1.html?s=feature
-- he's one of the "heroes behind today's breakthrough technologies"

Perhaps this is more evidence that Elliote Rusty Harold is onto
something when he talks about  XForms being the next big thing!