len

From: Rick Marshall [mailto:rjm@zenucom.com]

> Is XML an evolution of SGML or simply an adaptation (it lost features, so
> maybe it is devolution)?

depends doesn't it - was losing most of our furry/hairy covering
evolution or devolution? sometimes evolution means losing things in a
tradeoff for an overall better position. one of the great lessons of
chess and warfare (although today warfare must progress without loss,
but the debate continues). there is any number of birds that have lost
the ability to fly in exchange for an advantage on the ground or in the
water.

as a counter to the "more categories isn't evolution" you could also
consider the giraffe - is the long neck evolutionary or not.
topographically it's the same as other mammal necks, 7 bones, etc - it's
just very long. evolution or extension ;) ?

i think they're both the same. one way or another the system is changing
to be better in a given situation. it may lose features, gain features,
or change them. it's different because for some reason it needs to be.

rick