   RE: [xml-dev] Semantic Web permathread, iteration n+1 (was Re: [xml-dev

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>Metadata isn't free.

Metadata, like any other data, is sometimes free, sometimes a little trouble
to create, and often a lot of trouble to create.  The search for a good
metadata value/trouble-of-creation ratio is a worthwhile pursuit providing a
payoff to many, whether they're storing their metadata as RDF triples or
not.

As I wrote in a weblog posting titled "Wanted: Cheap Metadata" last week,
"I'd love to see the semantic web movement more concerned with finding and
generating usable metadata and less focused on what to do with that metadata
come the revolution. FOAF files are fun, but demonstrating the potential
value of the semantic web will require more metadata than information about
which of our friends also have FOAF files."

More at http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4916. (It mentions you, Elliotte!)

Bob
weblog: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1191
homepage: http://www.snee.com/bob