   Re: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] Semantic We

On Sunday 06 June 2004 22:23, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 8:33 PM +0100 6/6/04, Dave Pawson wrote:
> >>Absolutely not. The fact is computers aren't that smart, and robust
> >>systems allow and prepare for human intervention. In practice, most
> >>debugged and deployed systems rarely require human intervention of
> >>this sort.
> >
> >I've not met many such perfect systems.
>
> The systems don't need to be perfect.That's why I wrote "rarely"
> instead of "never". Pretty much all systems do require intervention
> of this sort, but rarely. The vast majority of transactions go
> through without a hitch. It's only the rare one that needs manual
> assistance.

What kind of system are you talking about? And where? 'cause I haven't seen
many of the kind you're talking about either. In most systems I've seen in
production, if you ignore the schema whenever you feel like it (provided that
you can do it in the authoring environment, that is), you're going to mess up
something, and a manual fix will be required.

IMHO, XML's biggest mistake was to make validation optional.

Best,

/Ari