   Re: [xml-dev] What's wrong w/ nested elements?

At 8:36 AM -0400 6/7/04, Jain, Rajnish wrote:

When I try to create an XSD for this XML using Microsoft Development
Environment 7.1, I get
the following error:

Failed to Create a schema for this data file because:
Although this XML document is well formed, it contains structure that
Data View cannot display.
The same table (b) cannot be the child table in two nested relations.

Wondering why the containment relationship shown above is not valid
for an XSD? And what can
I do to workaround this problem (I can't afford to name mangle (b)
everywhere it appears).

There's nothing here the W3C XML Schema Language can't handle. The
problem is with the Microsoft tool, not with XML. Try hand authoring
a schema and see if it accepts that, though given the error message I
suspect the problem may not be quite what you think it is. It sounds
like there might be broader issues in your application context that
prohibit this normally allowed structure.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu