   RE: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] Semantic We

In practice with submissions to State agencies, submissions
are quarantined until such time as they pass the standard
for submissions in that State within an acceptable error
rate.  Only after certification are agencies enabled to
submit data which the State then submits on to Federal
agencies.  The State requirements and the Federal requirements
vary from each other and from the local agency collection
requirements.

These do occur in practice, there are many formats (vary
by State and by Agency), the certification period is
required and is bid in the original RFP.  Because cost
plus contracts are the rarity in this equation, the contractor
or system vendor works with the agency directly to ensure
submissions comply.  If Passin's company has to keep
coming back and fixing submissions, they are going out
of business.

XML is supposed to help do this better and cheaper.  If it
can't, it is worthless as a format for multi-agency work.

len

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]

At 11:16 PM +0200 6/6/04, Ari Nordstrom wrote:

>What kind of system are you talking about? And where? 'cause I haven't seen
>many of the kind you're talking about either. In most systems I've seen in
>production, if you ignore the schema whenever you feel like it (provided
that
>you can do it in the authoring environment, that is), you're going to mess
up
>something, and a manual fix will be required.

You're worrying about issues that are rare in
practice, which was precisely my point. New
formats are rare enough that they can be handled
by manual intervention. And generally a new
format does indicate something important that
should be looked at by a person.

However, the vast majority of messages are not
new formats. They're the same old formats you've
seen before, and they can be recognized and
processed automatically.

If manual intervention were required for every
message, this approach wouldn't scale or work. In
practice, manual intervention isn't required all
that often after the system is initially
developed and deployed.