   RE: [xml-dev] What's wrong w/ nested elements?

  • To: "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What's wrong w/ nested elements?
  • From: "Jain, Rajnish" <rjain@xl.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:01:16 -0400
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Elliotte,

Thanks for your response. I can understand that this limitation (i.e.
can't nest a complex element under more than one parent) is probably in
the Microsoft tool. My example is right in front of us (thus there is no
broader issue in my application context):

<a>
    <a1>
        <b>
            <c>
            </c>
        </b>
    </a1>
    <a2>
        <b>
            <c>
            </c>
        </b>
    </a2>
</a>

The tool is okay w/ element (c) being contained under more than one
parent. And even (b) can be present more than once under either (a1) or
(a2) but not under both (a1) and (a2)simultaneously.

All,

Is their a way I can get the tool to behave correctly (I'm surely
missing something given how basic this is)? Or should I be using some
other editor?

Thanks,
Rajnish