   RE: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] Semantic

At 2004-06-08 16:07 -0700, Joshua Allen wrote:
> > browsers support different bits of CSS, and even XSLT had a couple of
> > implementation differences you can fall over last time I had much to
>do
>
>The most annoying inconsistency with XSLT in-browser is the lack of
>consistent support for disable-output-escaping.  Admittedly d-o-e is a
>hack, but it's murder trying to work without it.

I think it is suicide trying to work with it.

I tell my students that if they think they need to use d-o-e, then think
again and then think a third time because it is so very rarely needed.

In my personal experience there are only two use cases:

(1) - the synthesis of a declaration subset for the support of unparsed
entity and notation declarations in the resulting XML

(2) - when an HTML stream has been captured in XML using escaping and it
needs to be emitted without escaping (this does *not* include hacking a
single   character)

I don't think I've every used it for anything else, and I can't think of
anywhere else it is needed because what was needed couldn't be done with
off-the-shelf XSLT.

Note that neither of the above two cases is required when the XSLT
processor is used to create XSL-FO, and indeed some of my students have
been burned thinking they can use d-o-e as a lazy way of creating markup
and are surprised when the markup isn't recognized by the XSL-FO process.

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc