   RE: [xml-dev] Meta-somethingorother (was the semantic web mega-permathre

Well, for purposes of "semantic web", we are not talking of "data about
data", we are talking about "data about resources".  In fact, even if
you define some RDF data about a particular URL, and the URL is GETable,
the RDF data is *not* "about" the data returned by the GET call.  It is
about the resource for which the data serves as a representation.  So
it's just fundamentally wrong, in a really painful way, to say that RDF
is about data which can be retrieved through a GET.

I noticed you postulated a controversy earlier in the thread ("some
people mean 'data about data' and others mean 'data about resources').
I wonder where you got that controversy.  There is no ambiguity;
"semantic web is 'data about resources'.  If you have found someone who
thinks that semantic web is 'data about data', they are completely
confused.  There is no point in arguing about it.

If you are instead arguing that we shouldn't use the phrase "metadata"
to talk about 'data about resources', then maybe you have a point.  It
doesn't bother me, but if people get so sidetracked than maybe it's the
fault of imprecise language.