   Re: [xml-dev] Meta-somethingorother (was the semantic web mega-permathre

Miles Sabin wrote:

> Bill de hÓra wrote,
>> Miles Sabin wrote:
>>> OK, so why are you telling Eliotte to RTFM?
>>
>> So he can decide for himself whether a technology has any merit, as
>> opposed to people's ambitions for said technology. RTFM was
>> something I learned from you.
>
> Hmm ... maybe I'm becoming more impatient and illiberal as I get
> older ;-)
>
> The thing is, I don't think that "RTFM and make up your own mind" is
> appropriate in this case. For starters, Eliotte already seems to have
> made up his mind (in the right way IMO) on grounds (lack of practical
> applications or any serious prospect of them) which aren't addressed by
> the TFM anyway.
>
> For seconds, I think it's quite reasonable to question whether it's
> worth even bothering to read TFM if it's more or less the same old
> stuff that didn't work last time with no reasonable expectation that
> the new twist (angle brackets and URIs) is going to help find a useful
> route out of the blind alley.

What do you mean "didn't work last time"?

SNOMED has been standardized as a medical ontology which as been
licensed by both the U.S. and U.K. governments for use in healthcare.

see: http://www.amia.org/pubs/symposia/D004032.PDF

http://www.nhsia.nhs.uk/snomed/pages/default.asp

http://www.snomed.org/about/Nov2003.html

SNOMED (RT) is DL based.

The U.S. and U.K. healthcare markets are rather large. Aggregate of
trillions of dollars.

I'd say that this stuff is being used. Dismiss this at your own
discretion. Perhaps it doesn't affect your corner of the world.

Jonathan