   Re: [xml-dev] Semantic Web Services

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> A simple question, but one that could get to
> the heart of whether or not we should expect
> to see growth in the semantic web business:
>
> What are some services that SemWeb
> applications could expose for discovery
> and integration into web client applications
> including mobile applications?  In other
> words, how and where do the Sem Web and
> Service Oriented Architectures meet?

This should be a good thread. I could go on and on about this, but at
the most rudimentary level (being very simple with the language, and
making some basic assumptions):

- A primary foundation of SOA is shared services

- Semantic Web services will be described in a semantically rich-enough
manner so as to be efficiently discovered (by "efficiently", I mean both
easily and according to the service discoverer's criteria such as QoS
criteria)

- SOA + Semantic Web = More easily discovered services that are better
tailored to a service discoverer's (human or machine) needs, thereby
enabling service providers to broaden their reach, and service
discoverers to have their processing needs more easily met (higher
"service satisfaction") - which translates into better service for their
customers (if a customer-oriented scenario).

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World