   Re: [xml-dev] Semantic Web Services

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> Describe the discovery behavior.

Sure -

> a) For what reason is it initiated

Using a classic example: A travel agent Web Service needs to discover
one or more hotel Web Services - i.e. a Web Service that would be
offered by a hotel/hotel chain that has functionality required for
automatic (at least partial) reservation of a hotel room, and all of the
functions that are required by that (ability to search by specific
criteria, etc.)

> b) By what mechanism is it accomplished

One way, of multiple: The travel agent Web Service discovers (how it
discovers it will be orthogonal for this example) an e-business registry
- such as UDDI or ebXML Registry - and performs an automated search of
the registry contents. We can also assume for this example (not speaking
about any particular standard) that the search would be
"semantically-aware" - i.e. that it would involve concepts such as rich
metadata attributes in registries, classification of entities according
to ontologies, etc.

> c) What entity evolves as a result of
>    acquiring the behavior?

Several entities, among them:

- A "record" (or "object" - using terms loosely) that represents a hotel
Web Service in the registry, along with its pertinent business (i.e.
organization information about the hotel/hotel chain) and technical
(e.g. supported transport protocols for Web Service) information.

- A Web Service description (e.g. WSDL document) that, if a particular
hotel is "accepted" in the search (i.e. it meets all stated criteria),
will be used to "connect" with the hotel's Web Service.

> d) How is a message type shared

Through the WSDL document.

> and how
>    after it is shared is it discarded/forgotten
>    as a type (pruning the theory lattice)?

Not sure what you mean here - but this should be taken care of by the
stateless nature of the exchange (assuming that it is stateless - which
will change in the future with certain emerging standards).

> The realistic answer to c) is the client.

Ok - then I retract my answer from above (I was thinking along different
lines). :)

> In an ontologically endowed SOA, the client
> must be able to consume a service as a result
> of using the ontology (which itself can be
> delivered by a service), but it can also
> produce an ontology and return it as a
> theory to the emitter.

Yes - perhaps the produced ontology is a result of the aggregation of
multiple ontologies that each represents a specific sub-domain (e.g.
specific "types" of hotels), that is then returned to the requester for
them to - perhaps - use the aggregated ontology for the current
(in-process) search, or for later searching.

> So discovery
> is a feedback-enabled behavior such that
> the act of using it improves it and
> evolves the system.

Yes - Roger, are you there? :)

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

--
Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano