   progressive parsing of XML. Any technology out there?

Hello,

Assuming I receive a very large XML document coming in through HTTP, for
instance, a big SOAP message that embeds other XML documents and
unstructured data in base64 encoded values, and let's say I want to validate
information in my SOAP Header and return a response as fast as possible, but
I want to process (esp. validate) the rest of my XML document
asynchronously.

What I would like to do is control the branches of my tree I want to parse
and to what depth (hence the term "progressive parsing"), and end up with
some objects that point to unparsed xml for the branches and depth I don't
need for my preliminary processing.

Of course, I want something that is pretty dynamic and does not require low
level SAX coding on the application developer.

(Right now, the only way out there is to use things like SOAP+Attachments,
where you actually are not using XML so that there is an explicit separation
between multiple XML documents that can be parsed separately, but this
approach then makes a design when you have XML documents containing pointers
to other documents in the MIME message received that needs to be resolved,
etc.).

Are there technologies out there to do this in a better way?

Thanks

Guillaume