   SAX dot NET - Unifying Extension interfaces

This issue was originally directed to sax-devel, but it seems
there isn't a lot of people reading it anymore, or maybe
the topic is simply too boring:

I had originally received some criticism from the .NET camp
about porting SAX too literally, especially pointing out
apparent interface versioning problems.
I then asked on sax-devel about unifying the IAttributes2,
ILocator2 and IEntityResolver2 interfaces with their
core counterparts, and received mostly positive feedback.

However, now I am having second thoughts, mainly because:

It seems the SAX extensions (a separate module/namespace)
are meant to include interfaces for reporting parts of an
XML document that the XML spec does not explicitly require
to be reported.

Unifying the interfaces mentioned above looks as if it would
bring optional features into the core and therefore break the
semantics behind this separation of modules/namespaces.
And then we are still left with ILexicalHandler and IDeclHandler.

Being consequent one should then unify IDtdHandler and IDeclHandler
as well, and move ILexicalHandler into the core as it would be the
only survivor. This will cascade into changes on XmlReader and
standard features/properties. Seems like a lot of change.

Any opinions? Maybe I am seeing a problem where there is none?

Karl