   RE: [xml-dev] New Infoworld article on XML and relational databases

SQL/XML as in ISO/ANSI SQL-2003 is a couple of components:

1. The XML Datatype
	We support this in Yukon/2005
2. The publishing functions (XMLElement, XMLAgg etc)
	We currently do not support them in 2005 (I will at some point
write
      Why), but we support similar functionality since SQL Server 2000
in
      form of our rowset aggregator called FOR XML (see
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/forxml2k5.asp

      for examples on how it is easier and nicer in 2005 than either the
old
      explicit mode or the publishing functions).
3. A table and meta data mapping for relational data into XML:
      We support some of the options for data mapping as part of our FOR
XML
      functionality.

Given the timeline of the product planning (late 2000/early 2001), the
standard being done in 2003, existing functionality, resources etc., we
decided to not provide 2 in Yukon, but will consider adding what our
customers are demanding and where we can deliver value in upcoming
releases.

So the correct answer is that we partially support that spec. The
question whether Sean misinterpreted the name of our mid-tier SQLXML
component (that existed before there was the name SQL/XML coined for the
ANSI stuff), I don't know. I certainly gave him the information above.

Best regards
Michael

PS: Ken, I know you have this information already, just rewind your tape
:-). Or is the water cooler noise garbling it :-)