   Re: [xml-dev] Early Draft Review: XQuery for Java (JSR 225)

Bob Foster wrote,
> Your argument seems to boil down to the idea that compilation will
> always have certain advantages over interpretation, a widely held
> view. People who lived through the history of embedded SQL are
> unlikely to be convinced, as you are just echoing the arguments made
> decades ago in the SQL context - and string APIs by and large won out
> - in part because they can proliferate most rapidly in a wide variety
> of host languages.

Your general point here is well taken ... however, in this case we're
discussing a deliberately Java-specific API.

> Last but not least, JSR 225 presents a proposal for a string-based
> API. Where is the proposal for an API requiring language changes?

I don't think Burak was suggesting anything that drastic. He's
suggesting something more in the spirit of Squiggle that Bill just
posted a link to (thanks for that BTW Bill).

In any case, if language change were at issue I'm sure that if Burak
wasn't so modest he'd want us to look in the direction of Scala,

  http://scala.epfl.ch/

rather than bolting yet more bits onto an already overloaded Java.

Cheers,

Miles