   Re: [xml-dev] Early Draft Review: XQuery for Java (JSR 225)

[not xposted to jsr-225-comments@jcp.org]

Bob Foster wrote:

> The main advantage of your proposal, OOP orthodoxy aside, seems to be in
> preventing syntactically incorrect queries.

No. Syntactic correctness isn't what's valuable, nor is OOP
conformance. What is valuable is the ability to construct and
mnaipulate queries dynamically in the target programming language -
XQuery reflection.

>  On the con side,
> building up expressions using individual For, Where, etc. classes is
> certainly going to be clumsier.

Not in my experience. Having access to a syntax tree can be quite
useful.

cheers
Bill