   RE: RE: [xml-dev] XML Technologies: Progress via Simplification or Compl

Hi Peter,

> If you're asking can you do MDA for XML technologies, we're not there
> yet.  Some of the models we have to work with are: relational schema for
> DB, UML for Java, but for XML we have loosely coupled requirement trees.
> An XSLT modeling tool would be good: declarative UML for XSLT anyone?

Not exactly, I really asked is there anybody out there doing it. Now
answering to the point you raised I personally do it through the following
process.

a) I create my model in UML (visual model) then export it in XMI ( a
serialized version of it in XML format). Up to now we can consider that the
model is still PIM (Platform independent model).
b) Then I transform it into another format I created that mixes RDF and
Xlink so that I can use XML to surf the object association links and RDF to
parse the object's property set. I am in the process to add methods, both
local and remote (SOAP). Local methods are methods running in the browser
not limited to it. I consider a method as a representation. Hence my object
have more than one representation and thus can be perceived as "subject
oriented" objects.
c) I use XSLT to transform my domain model into an interaction model. An
interaction model is a set of components users interact with to change
domain model object's state. Usually my interaction model is encoded into a
mix of ECMAScript/XHTML/applets/SVG and SMIL.
d) the app runs on the client side not on the server side. Hence the
server's role is restricted to provide a domain model encoded into an XML
based language. On the client side a transformation rule is sent with the
domain model and the client environment produces a just in time app based on
the transformation rules and the data (i.e. the domain model).

I discovered that in order to be model driven object have to present more
than one representation. For instance, a SOAP representation (i.e. a WSDL
document used as interface definition hence an XMI to WSDL transform), an
interaction representation (stuff running in a browser), a XAML
representation (in case we want to run it into a longhorn environment), any
other representation.... Web objects should be very different from classical
objects limited by s strict single minded signature.

Anyway, from the answers, I see that yes indeed we are far away from it...

Cheers
Didier