   RE: RE: [xml-dev] XML Technologies: Progress via Simplification or Co mp

Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com> asks:

> I do not hear anything from people trying to do model driven
> development using XML technologies. Are they shy or simply
> not there yet? If yes, I would like to hear what you do.

If you're asking can you do MDA for XML technologies, we're not there
yet.  Some of the models we have to work with are: relational schema for
DB, UML for Java, but for XML we have loosely coupled requirement trees.
An XSLT modeling tool would be good: declarative UML for XSLT anyone?

If you're asking do we use XML technologies for our MDA, no, and I'm not
sure I'd want them?  The XML we get out of our modeling comes from our
metadata and is all after the fact. Business analysts don't think in
XML...  Maybe SVG type things, but that's an implementation detail, not
instric to the modeling process. We model the data, abstract, model the
metadata, and iterate until we've got a metadata model.  From the
metadata model we can produce a (very rough) XML schema if need be, but
so far, we use it only internally.

We're trying to get to more of a model driven system.  I currently
envision at least three layers of modeling within our system: system
level (traditional developer concerns), corporate standards, individual
applications.  Within each of those layers there will be some finer
grained models also going on.  XML technologies give me a great way to
combine all these models and turn them into rules that can drive the
system (XSLT is the lynch pin upon which it all turns).

We're having some success, but we're a long way from a MDA across the
board.  Maybe in another 5 years...