   Re: [xml-dev] Browser innovation efforts -- where's W3C in this picture?

Bill de hÓra wrote:

> Michael Champion wrote:
>> [...]  What's going on?  Or what am I missing?

>   <http://bitworking.org/news/3270_Redux>

... which links to

   http://www.w3.org/2004/04/webapps-cdf-ws/papers/opera.html

which is very interesting.  In some ways, this is the exact opposite of the
browser wars of the 1990's -- for example, although the document comes from
Microsoft's competitors, the first design principle *requires* MSIE 6
compatibility.

I don't agree with every single word in the position paper, but it is
refreshingly pragmatic, recommending that we build on what we already have
and know (HTML forms, JavaScript, DOM, and CSS) instead of trying to rip
everything up and start over again.  I find myself liking an awful lot of
the paper, such as this statement:

   If a specification is so large that it requires profiling and/or cannot be
   implemented on small devices, then it is a failing of the specification
   that should be solved by editing the complete spec, possibly simplifying
   or obsoleting some parts.

I also chuckled at this question and answer:

   What is needed from schema languages?

       Nothing.

Thanks to Bill for the link.

All the best,