   RE: [xml-dev] What is the rule for parsing XML in a namespace inside HTM

>From: Joshua Allen [mailto:joshuaa@microsoft.com]

>Choose the right tool for
>the task -- in this case, the right tool will be either HTML or XML; not
>some abominable hybrid.

Ummm... so what is HTML plus VML?

XHTML is a separate issue.  So is Atom.   So
are screen scraping and services.  This message
is and only is about what it means to have namespaced
XML inside HTML.

I can and did fix the emitting database, but validation appears
to be beyond the one validating tool I would think
I could rely on:  IE.   To be fair, as long as the
namespace is used, no <?xml is required, but that
means the namespaced xml is in fact, not XML.  It
is a weird state of affairs because the Microsoft
articles I rely on to apply this technology say
that it is XML.  Not to be mean, but that would
infer that Microsoft is not reliable.

That is not the speech your boss wants
to give.  It is precisely the speech
he wants to avoid.

VML doesn't use the <xml> tag.  It uses the
namespace decl and a behavior CSS decl.
The solution needs to work from
those declarations, not a tag.  OTW, the right
way would be to insist when a namespace is
embedded, that the wrapper document (HTML
in this case) be conformant XML even if it
isn't XHTML should the developer insist on
well-formedness.   We don't need more hacks.
We need XML rules to work as spec'd where
declared.  If the browser is XML-aware,
it also has to be conformant where declared.
No exceptions.

What happens when we get to XAML?

len