Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 10:18 AM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Question for updating existing XML file

First time posting, new to the list.

How do you update your XML files?
Example:
  (in a huge XML file...)
  <Entry>
   <name>Jon</name>
  </Entry>

If I want to update the name to Joe, or add another name Jane.  So the node looks like this:
  (in a huge XML file...)
  <Entry>
   <name>Joe</name>
   <name>Jane</name>
  </Entry>

Is there a way to do this kind of update without rewrite the whole file?  My file is about 50MB.

I wonder whether this is a wise way of using XML. Even with XML databases, most databases are optimized to handle large numbers of small/medium documents rather than a single gigantic one. I don't think that using an XML document as a replacement for a database is a particularly good idea. It's not the job it was designed for.

Michael Kay