   RE: [xml-dev] tool support schema for xs:extension or a way to replace i

It's true that schema processors don't always agree on whether a schema is
valid. However, I think the differences tend to be:

(a) some processors enforce the rules more rigorously than others (for
example, Saxon 8.0 seems to apply the rules on what constitutes a valid
restriction more rigorously than Xerces does; it also enforces the revised
syntax for regular expressions in the second edition of Schema 1.0).

(b) some processors omit support for obscure features (for example, Saxon
doesn't yet support xs:notation)

(c) processors interface differently with their environment (for example
instance document validation is invoked in different ways)

For these reasons it's always a good idea to check that your schema
validates with several processors (and if you intend your schema to be used
by many organizations, to check it with *all* the mainstream processors).

But among the mainstream processors, you can rely on major facilities like
xs:extension being implemented.

Michael Kay