   Namespace issues in 2nd order xslt (e.g. Schematron)

I have a big problem with xslt, but most importantly with schematron :-)

Essentially  all I am doing is defining a 2nd order XSL transform -- a
schematron rules file is transformed into an XSL which is then applied
to an XML file.

My problem is using xpaths in the 2nd order XSL transform that use
namespace prefixes undefined in the 1st order transform. All that I
really need is to simply declare xmlns attributes.

Is there any way to do this in xsl ?

Oleg