   Re: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in

Patrick,

But that is the rub here, is it more complicated?

Frankly schema works for tiny small schemas with few if any
logical branches to the structure - but even there you run
into difficulties - e.g. stock quote lookup, how tough is that?

Put in stock ticker symbol - get back quote.  Hmmm, but then the
ticker is related to exchange, and status of the company, so
could have prefix with colon separator, and so on - suddenly
a tiny little something - and schema really cannot provide
enough validation already. Unless you add more fields, and have
prefix, exchange, ticker, name, but now you need rules - if I
enter name and exchange, but not prefix and ticker.... how can I
use schema to check the right permutations for me?  But wait, I
can declare varients of just the permutations of structure that
I want and label them accordingly.  Now I need a way for people
to know what context to use what structure construct.  Oh - how
I do that? (hint - you need context variables).

Then as soon as you get into significant information exchanges
with dozens of inter-related fields - oh my!

Schema really does have a very limited use profile.  That is the
way it was defined of course - they did start with a set of
requirements.  Trouble is few if any people who are using schema
have bothered to read what the original design was intended to
do.  9 times out of 10 it ain't what people are now trying to
use schema for!

No surprises then that it is sub-optimal for their needs.

DW.