   RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in

Michael Kay wrote:

> Incidentally, it happens less often nowadays, but
> just yesterday I made an online purchase from a
> US supplier who required me to enter a two-letter
> code in the "State" box and a numeric value in the
> "postal code" box, despite the fact that I had
> entered UK as the country; so of course I lied,
> and they now have my state recorded as "ZZ" and
> the postal code as 12345. They also required a
> ten-digit phone number. Which reinforces another
> of my arguments: the more validation you do, the
> more you force people to supply incorrect information.

Michael, your messages and examples are precise and compelling.
Would you mind elaborating more upon what you see as
the role of validation?  Should there be levels of
validation as I suggested last week?  Or perhaps you
are suggesting that there should be no validation?

/Roger