-----Original Message-----
From: Cox, Bruce [mailto:Bruce.Cox@USPTO.GOV]

I have not been making the same distinction between
syntactical/structural and semantic/business rules in this thread that
Michael has below.  To me, a business rule is one that came from the
lawyers, not from IT, which can be syntactical/structural; and from IT,
the rules are sometimes semantic (which I take to mean not so readily
amenable to automatic checking).  It seems more likely that there is a
continuum of rules from the one extreme to the other, which might be
sorted into layers where convenient for understanding or implementation.
I think I prefer the declarative approach to specifying rules, on the
assumption that these can be more reliably exchanged and implemented by
different systems.  A fortuitous choice of layers would be those that
are supported by standardized vocabularies for declaring the rules.  In
that regard, have any of you looked at the RuleML stuff?
(http://policy.ruleml.org/ and http://www.ruleml.org/)  Is any of that
useful in this context?

Bruce B. Cox
SA4XMLT