   Re: [xml-dev] are native XML databases needed?

> > the fact is: if you have to round-trip your XML to a client in order to
query,
> validate and or execute from it
>
> Are you suggesting that for retrieving XML an SQL server must pass its XML
data
> to the client, which executes the queries and validates documents -- as
opposed
> to the SQL server executing queries over XML data and validating
documents?

If a relational database has the capabilities to store XML documents without
knowing the structure apriori, and lets you query (using XPATH and/or
Xquery - not SQL), insert, update and delete nodes, subtrees or entire XML
documents within and across all these XML documents stored in the DB, then I
would put to you that you are not using a relational database, but what
Cache calls a post-relational database.

Do any of the big 3 (Oracle, DB2, MS SQL-Server) do that yet?  Unless Yukon
functionality has changed, it is the only one I am aware of that will (and
that is not released yet).  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Relational
databases did the same thing to Object databases in the 90's (although I
think Objectstore still claims the worlds largest database :), and will
eventually get there with XML, but by then they really will be much more
than a relational database.

Owen