   RE: [xml-dev] Fallacies of Validation, version #2

Re the dynamics aspect of schema creation:

While it is fun to discuss AI or other scripting
programs creating schemas by looking at lots of
samples, in my experience, this gets done by
the dudes and dudettes sitting at ends of email
or telephone pipes exchanging spippets of
understanding.  As Graham notes, most of it
is hacking examples.  I think this is particularly
true if their is a very large and very abstract
standard schema with six or seven layers of
complex declarations in the middle (think
Justice Global XML or some of the more hideous
paramerterized DTDs one finds left over from
CALS).

I've been watching a new to markup but experienced guy
trying to negotiate a simple web service interface
based on GJXDM and I am convinced that before
it is all done, we'll end up carving that beast
into something a lot more directly understandable
and simpler.

Word to the wise in the Justice Department and
in the OASIS working groups:

Simpler is better even if it means more to
manage, particularly where urgency of
implementation is high.

len