   RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema views - are they possible?

Title: XML Schema views - are they possible?
>I'm wondering is there a possibility of having different XML Schema views (for reusability purposes).

I did a paper titled "Maintaining Schemas for Pipelined Stages" (http://www.snee.com/bob/docs/04-01-05.html) at XML 2002 that addresses this problem. It uses hypothetical small examples, but Eric van der Vlist has since told me that he has used its ideas in a production system since then.

Instead of writing the schema as an XSLT stylesheet, as Michael Kay suggests, my approach uses a master schema describing the shared and unshared parts of the schemas in question and then a generic stylesheet to pull out a schema (which one could call a "view") for a specific stage in the pipeline as needed.

And it works with both W3C Schema and RELAX NG.

Bob DuCharme   www.snee.com/bob       <bob@
snee.com> weblog on linking-related topics:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1191