   RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema views - are they possible?

Len,

AARRRGGGH!!!  Once again you are touching on a pet peeve!

IMHO namespaces are a technology that someone invented - then went looking for a
problem to solve with it.

In 99% of cases the natural XML heirarchy and XPath are enough:

e.g.

 <order-total>
     <amount value='21343.23'/>
 </order-total>

Instead people create havoc and confusion for end users with multiple namespace
documents.  And the real joke is none of it versions!

Using namespaces should only occur when you want to exclude content from within
content.  This is how of course CAM does it.

Also - CAM <ContentReference> completely does away with the need for namespaces
as a means to denote domain usage.  This keeps your instances simple and they
parse anywhere - no namespace issues.

So - ContentReference - assigns a unique ID (UID) to each element / attribute -
so you know instantly - even if the tag name is different (something namespace
can't do too!) - that its actually the same semantic item, and hence content
rules to apply.  And this versions as you can have suffix(es) on the UID
values.  And of course the UIDs provide lookup index to registry definitions.

This brings us to two more Fallacies for Rogers list.

Fallacy that Versioning is only needed at the document level.

Fallacy that Domain Context must be resolved with namespaces.

Cheers, DW.