   RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema views - are they possible?

Title: XML Schema views - are they possible?
>Did you address the problem of having multiple layers of abstraction and
>the use of global elements that forces one to use namespaces?  GJXDM
>is wrestling with this one.

My basic use case was a workflow in which an element or attribute that can't possibly exist at step 1 (e.g. an "arrived" date-time stamp on data sent from a supplier) is required at step 1 + x. We don't want to just declare it as being optional up and down the line; we want a validation process after step x to flag files missing this data.

The approach is to declare everything you'll ever need and identify where you need it in the central mother schema and then extract what you need for each step using the stylesheet. It should work in some cases in which the "views" do not necessarily describe the states of data in a sequential process, but that was the problem I was focused on. (We've got a lot of XML data moving through a lot of processes here.) I didn't try pushing it into a more generalized version of a "view" implementation, so, I'm not sure about dealing with the multiple layers of abstraction.

Bob