   Re: [xml-dev] Fault-tolerance in web services

Seetharama Rao Durbha wrote:

> I thought so - but then was not quite sure if a solution akin to the web
> load balancing/fail-over is a better one, or giving individual control to
> the customers is a better one.

Not sure what you're driving at here - load-balancing should be provided
if required, wherever it is required - that is, whether one is a service
provider or service consumer - or both - should not make a difference.
It's all about whether or not it is required given the load.

> The advantage with current way (of providing
> load-balancing / fail-over at the network service provider or perimeter) is
> that it is already in place, at least for those people with high content and
> visits. However, I am sure that Orgs with high-content web requests are not
> the ones who need to provide highly reliable web services (at least not
> 1-1), so others would need different solutions.

Web Services reliability is actually a different, but somtimes related,
topic that involves quality of service (QoS) requirements such as
guaranteed delivery and guaranteed message ordering (see the work that
we have been doing in OASIS WS-Reliability). An example of these being
related is where a receiving system does not have adequate load
balancing capabilities, and a response to a sent message (using
reliability features) is not received by the sender within a predefined
window - which will cause either a resend or a termination of attempts
to resend that message, depending on the number of attempts vs. some
predefined parameter on the sender side.

> And, probably, making the
> choices part of the WSDL,

If you mean the choice of using load balancing or not, then this could
be incorporated into a WSDL document in the manner described below
(multiple soap:address values). Of course, simply having multiple
addresses does not mean that load balancing is done - it just sets up
the foundation for it.

> or a dynamic retrieval of those choices from a
> UDDI repository (basically a standards-based way) would be a good idea.

Yes, one can use UDDI to dynamically retrieve a WSDL document of course.
So if this means retreiving a WSDL document that contains multiple
soap:address values, then that is on target.

> I will take a look at WSRP.

I don't believe that WSRP incorporates the notion of load balancing into
their spec (at least the last I read), because it's more of an
implementation issue. Rex will correct me if I am wrong.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World