   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: EXSLT.NET 1.1

Elliotte Harold scripsit:

> >EXSLT.NET is subject to GOTDOTNET WORKSPACES COMMERCIAL DERIVATIVES
> >LICENSE -
>
> Has this license been approved or is it in the process of  approval by
> the open source initiative? I am not a license lawyer, but at first
> glance, clause 6, which says patent rights don't extend to derivative
> works, seems like it might be a problem.

Thanks for spotting this.  I don't speak for OSI, but as a member of
the license-discuss list, I've spent plenty of time dissecting
licenses.  (I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice.)

No way in Hell this would pass OSI.  What the general permission to
make derivative works gives, clause 6 takes away.  This license is
pseudo-open and pseudo-free.  In fact, it's exactly the same lame-o
limitation that scuttled Sender ID in the IETF (google for details).

Check out the Academic Free License at
http://opensource.org/licenses/afl-2.1.php for what such a license
ought to look like.

--
Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the          John Cowan
portrait of Mona Lisa good if I desire to see           cowan@ccil.org