From: "Kirkham, Pete (UK)" <pete.kirkham@baesystems.com>
To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 9:35 AM
Subject: [xml-dev] ISPF alternatives

> As we are retiring an aging mainframe system at the end of this year, I'm
looking for easy ways of getting some ISPF dialog manager front ends for
applications off of it and onto Windows or unix web servers with suitable
windows clients.

> Can anyone recommend an XML based alternative and translations tools for
ISPF applications? We have Java 1.4 for mid-thickness clients, and I've had
a look at the JDNC XML format, but it isn't quite sophisticated enough for a
simple translation. The current system uses dialogs, CLIST scripts to set up
a batch of files, and then kicks off some Fortran programs. As BAE uses IE,
we can't go to Mozilla XUL for the client.

> I doesn't seem that hard to make a parser for the dialogs and scripts and
convert them to something, but I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's
wanting to do such a thing, and if there is a 'something' that's more
complete a replacement than JDNC (with similarly suitable licencing), then
that would be welcome.

> Pete
>
> --
> "For the world to receive information from the world and benefit from it,
nowadays computers and butterflies suffice" (Italo Calvino)