   Re: [xml-dev] XACML Research.

Srilekha Mudumbai wrote:

> My comment is that XACML stands unique in a way that it not only
> provides a rich language for expressing policies, but
> also provides a request/response language for exchanging
> policy decisions.
>
> People had been talking about XACML in the past. They are now thinking
> about deploying it in web services security.

Yes, but XACML has always been intended as a general-purpose (i.e. not
focused specifically on Web Services) access control policy language,
and my prediction is that it will remain as such into the future. The
XACML TC did produce a Web Services Policy Language (WSPL[1]) draft
about one year ago, but it has not advanced within the XACML TC due
(IMO) to the core focus of the TC.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an open standard for Web Services Policy
(access control and more) sometime within the next year, whether it
"branches off" of XACML or is a new committee altogether.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/3661/draft-xacml-wspl-04.pdf