   RE: [xml-dev] XACML Research.

Congratulations to Mike, but it isn't strictly a matter of management
beyond understanding the need for national policies for
privacy, reversing the 'need to know'-based architecture,
and so on.   Otherwise, we are caught on a procurement
cycle issue in which late adoption policies that once
were prudent are now friction.   The 'let a thousand
flowers bloom' approach means competing and non-interoperable
standards abound.  Who chooses and will those choices
be based on lab experiments or commercial applications?

Then there are standards groups. Things done for expedience and
speed may not work well in this environment.   The
semantic web standards are too nascent and the procurements
are too near.  If they move too fast, the derail the industry
itself.  People are actively fighting over the 'paranoia'
necessary in the face of DRM tech but DRM tech is vital
to trusted information systems.  If you want this stuff
soon, it has to be out of research an in production.
If you want interoperability, you have to inform every
consultant working for every public agency and every
mayor, and so on about the requirements.  You need an
architecture that is easy to explain and easier to
procure.

It's a heckuva a problem and it won't be solved inside
the Beltway or OASIS or in any single vendor's shop.

Asked another way:

o  what aspects of first responder
technologies would you apply semantic web tech to?

o  what other aspects of a SHARE-based system would
you apply semantic web tech to?

It is like changing a tire on a moving car on a busy highway.
As the sticker says:

"Objects in the mirror may be closer than you think."

len

From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> >From the homeland security perspectives, authorization, provisioning,
etc.
> play a very important role as does Information Resource Management (aka,
> DRM).  So far, semantic web technologies don't.

Mike Daconta has just signed on as the new DHS Metadata Manager, so my
guess is that this may change.