   Re: [xml-dev] xml, xslt and namespaces

Mahdi Mankai wrote:

> I wonder if somebody can afford me a suitable solution for my problem.
> starting from from an original xml file that uses namespaces :
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <h:request xmlns:h="http://www.mydomain.org/ns/";>>
>    <h:title>
>        XML, XSLT and Namespaces
>    </h:title>
>      <h:message>
>        How to reference XML source namespaces in XSLT files
>    </h:message>
> </h:request>
>
> I want to transform it into xslt. the problem is that I dont know how to
> resolve the original xml namespaces.

[snipped]

>      <xsl:value-of select="h:request/h:title"/>
>      </b>
>      <xsl:value-of select="h:request/h:message"/>
> </xsl:template>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> this solution doesn't suit me because I want to avoid rewriting the h:
> prefix with every tag!!!

You can't really avoid having a namespace prefix in the xpath
statements, because xpath knows nothing about any default namespaces.
So if the elements you want to select are in a given namespace, then the
xpath expressions must explicitly contain a prefix that puts the
elements into that namespace.

Cheers,

Tom P

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)