   Re: [xml-dev] [Fwd: Potential Gap (WAS Re: [owl-s] communicationbetween

the more i think about these issues, the more i'm convinced that, like
people, these systems can only work if there is a training feedback loop.

it takes a minimum of 8-10 years to train a human being to a level where
they can cope with modern society and communicate effectively on a wide
range of issues. and that's with the most complex device in the known
universe as the computing engine.

somehow i think it's hubris that we think we can lay down a few
relatively simple rules and get machines to understand enoug to realise
some of the ws-* ambitions. i can only assume that many of the well
meaning people behind these initiatives have somehow forgotten most of
the maths and cognitive science they learned (i know it's harsh, no need
to flame me)

eg i'm using festival in an automated dj system that drives my private
music collection. all day it announces songs and artists, and then plays
the songs. trivial? well sometimes it does the right thing by 1978 (or
similar) as a date - pronounces it as such,  sometimes it pronounces it
as a number. it always gets confused by 1928-1944 (or similar). and you
should hear it's attempts at tijuana :)

now this can be fixed by identifying the specific tokens it has trouble
with and training it to recognise them and then have a special and
correct pronunciation (like learning english irregular verbs etc). at
the moment i have to train it. one day the computers should be able to
train each other.

all the ws-* stuff and all the owl stuff will need similar feedback
loops for learning. they will need to cope with generalities and
specifics. they will need access to computer equivalents of google and
they will need a way to evaluate the results.

can't remember how many nodes and connections in the human brain (up
there with stars in the universe i think) but i don't think any of the
existing stuff will come into it's own until we have computing devices
of similar complexity.

meanwhile we'll keep using biological computers to do the hard stuff
efficiently.

maybe i view the problem as more complex than it is, but i don't think
we have devices, let alone supporting technology, of sufficient
complexity to even begin to tackle these problems.

rick

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall
n:Marshall;Rick