   Re: [xml-dev] Ted Nelson's "XML is Evil"

My two cents worth:
XML, used in conjunction with, for example,  Java technologies and SQL, does provide digital archives and libraries developers with a significant means for tagging data that more effectively enables interoperability between and across systems, particularly in distributed network environments. This is mostly backend stuff, i.e., it is invisible to the end-user- the client- but it enables robust search and retrieval of data in ways not possible without it. At least from within the Digital Heritage Arena, and here I am discussing Publically-accessible content, not Propietary content housed in Propietary systems, the majority of digital archives and libraries are involved in further XML-based applications development, as well as development and implementation of domain specific XML-based languages (e.g., Human Markup Language, Archaeology markup language, etc., and utilize Web Services, to build the next generation interfaces, i.e., portals, such as the Common Interface Environment under development in the UK and EU, and similarly proposed variously in the US and elsewhere.  This gets us closer to the Semantic Web, especially when coupled with XML enabled ontologies, such as CIDOC's Conceptual Reference Model (CRM), that provide frameworks work organizing, managing, and dissemminating the heritage content via the Internet.  To disregard the real and potential value of XML or not use it to the extent feasible, especially if you are building or managing a digital archive, is in this day and age, and more so as we proceed toward the realization of a Semantic Web, counter-productive to your potential for survival in the digital realm.

Michael Kay wrote:
I suppose so, personally, I don't expect archives to give me
much in the
way of dynamic capabilities or currency. Having said that, I am not a
big believer in using XML as an archive format except for audit
purposes.

It's being used extensively by professionals in the field of digital
archiving: what would you advise them to use instead?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/