   RE: [xml-dev] Ted Nelson's "XML is Evil"

From: Jonathan Robie [mailto:jonathan.robie@datadirect.com]

>What's the silver bullet?

It's a bar in Phoenix.

>What's going to drive people away from the
>HTML and XML systems that are good enough for 90% of what people need?

Binaries or other types that don't enable them to write to the original?
Out of line markup isn't a bad idea given no write permissions.  Multiple
logical hierarchies is another although transforms do a pretty good job
there.
Lack of copyright enforcement is another.  It is a compelling argument
for binaries.  It turns out a lot of people want the pipes without
the plumber's philosophy of economics and intellectual property.

>What is it going to drive them to?

db tables and objects.  DRM in other situations.

Much of Nelson's critique in the opening paragraphs is aimed at the
'mania' to do everything with XML.  That was spot on when it was
written.

We're already beyond HTML.  The complexity police are everywhere though.

len

Nothing is perfect. - Norm Walsh
Is Nothing Sacred?  - Gahan Wilson