   RE: [xml-dev] xpath union and node set order

Firstly, //b|c and //c|b don't necessarily return the same nodes. The
expression parses as (//b)|c, not as //(b|c).

Secondly, the XPath 1.0 specification defines that a path expression (or a
union expression) returns a node-set, that is, an unordered set of nodes.
Some host languages, for example XSLT 1.0, specify that node-sets are always
processed in document order. But you appear (as far as I can tell) to be
invoking XPath from some Microsoft API, and I've no idea what that API says
about the processing order: it's up to the XPath host language to define it,
or it could choose to leave it undefined.

This changes in XPath 2.0, which specifies that path expressions and union
expressions return a sequence of distinct nodes in document order.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/