   A few general questions about SVG

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: A few general questions about SVG
  • From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:03:01 -0400

Hi Folks,

I have a few general questions about SVG:

1. Suppose that I render an SVG document in a browser (using the Adobe SVG plugin).  My experiments show that I can right-mouse-click on the image and select Zoom in.  However, my experiments also show that I can only Zoom in 3 or 4 times, at which time the Zoom in menu pick gets grayed-out.  Does SVG limit the level of Zooming in, or is that a limitation of the Adobe renderer?

2. Continuing with the last question ... Suppose that I have a map of a country.  How much detail can be put into the map?  Can I put details down to the level of a building, on a street, in a city, in a state in the country?  Can I then Zoom in from the country level down to see the building?

3. Can I associate textual information with parts of the SVG graphic?  For example, if I have a graphic of a country, I might like to associate some textual information for each city.  Is it possible to hide the textual information until the user, for example, right-mouse-clicks on the city?

4. Continuing with the last question ... Can I associate different textual information with different scales?  For example, when the graphic of the whole country is being displayed I want to display text relating to the whole country.  When the user zooms down to a city, I want text relating to that city.  Thus, is it possible to associate different text with different zoom levels and different parts of the graphic?

5. Suppose that I want to create an SVG image of a country.  I cannot imagine handcrafting an XML SVG document.  How do you suggest that I create the SVG document?

Thanks!  /Roger