   RE: [xml-dev] A few general questions about SVG

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger L. Costello [mailto:costello@mitre.org]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 9:03 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] A few general questions about SVG

Hi Folks,

I have a few general questions about SVG:

1. Suppose that I render an SVG document in a browser (using the Adobe SVG plugin).  My experiments show that I can right-mouse-click on the image and select Zoom in.  However, my experiments also show that I can only Zoom in 3 or 4 times, at which time the Zoom in menu pick gets grayed-out.  Does SVG limit the level of Zooming in, or is that a limitation of the Adobe renderer?
[Lisa Li] There is no such constraint in SVG spec as far as I know.

2. Continuing with the last question ... Suppose that I have a map of a country.  How much detail can be put into the map?  Can I put details down to the level of a building, on a street, in a city, in a state in the country?  Can I then Zoom in from the country level down to see the building?
[Lisa Li] Yes.  You can put all SVG representation of buildings, streets in a document. or you can generate each of them on demand and add to the SVG document dynamically. See the example Moscow map in Adobe web site. http://www.adobe.com/svg/demos/samples.html

3. Can I associate textual information with parts of the SVG graphic?  For example, if I have a graphic of a country, I might like to associate some textual information for each city.  Is it possible to hide the textual information until the user, for example, right-mouse-clicks on the city?
[Lisa Li] You can associate text with the SVG "path" element and "symbol" element.  See 10.13 Text on a path http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/PR-SVG11-20021115/text.html#TextPathElement.
You can specify mouse event in SVG graphic element and write JavaScipt functions to do whatever you want.For example, you can display the textual information when the mouse moves over some city. Adobe SVG web site has many such kind of examples. http://www.adobe.com/svg/basics/intro.html

4. Continuing with the last question ... Can I associate different textual information with different scales?  For example, when the graphic of the whole country is being displayed I want to display text relating to the whole country.  When the user zooms down to a city, I want text relating to that city.  Thus, is it possible to associate different text with different zoom levels and different parts of the graphic?
[Lisa Li] I think you can arrive this goal by catching the zoom event.

5. Suppose that I want to create an SVG image of a country.  I cannot imagine handcrafting an XML SVG document.  How do you suggest that I create the SVG document?
[Lisa Li] One way to do this is to describe the country with GML(Geographic Markup Language) and write a XSLT style sheet to transform the GML document into a SVG document. (It's essentially XML-to-XML transformation). I have been working on a tool "Map Style Editor" which can generate such XSLT automatically. If you are interested in this approach, you can contact me off line.

Lisa
Thanks!  /Roger