   Re: [xml-dev] converting character entities to us-ascii /equivalents/

Hello Robert,

2004-10-07T01:55:58+03:00 Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com> wrote:

> I need to output several versions of a page (through XSL
> transformations), one of which is us-ascii (for email). But, the content
> might contain some characters that are not supported by us-ascii (like
> em dash - &#151;).

> I want the character entities to remain in the content. When
> transforming to us-ascii, I want to replace the entities with some ascii
> text equivalent: For example, '&#151;' would get converted to '--'.

By the way, using &#151; for em dashes is a bad practice. Use &#8212;
instead. For more information see Tex Texin's article at
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-controls

Alexander
--
  Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/