   Re: [xml-dev] Which Will Be Released First, the W3C’s XQuery Spec or Lon

Don Demsak wrote:
> The following is from my blog entry:
> http://donxml.com/allthingstechie/archive/2004/10/13/1421.aspx

Hi Don,

There are lots of people who wish that XQuery were released, and I'm
certainly one of them. There's obviously frustration about this. There
are a lot of implementations out, and people want the standard to be
finished. There's not much technical work to be done, but in order to
demonstrate that there are multiple compatible implementations, it's
probably going to take another year (my guess, no guarantees).

The W3C does require implementations before a specification can become a
Recommendation. In general, it requires multiple implementations. And if
you think the spec writers do not have implementations to work with,
you're simply wrong.

The open source idea might be a good one. Java Community Process
requires a Reference Implementation. But with something like XQuery,
it's important to show implementations in a variety of different
environments, or else it won't be useful for data integration.

Jonathan