   Re: [xml-dev] [Shannon: information ~ uncertainty] Ramificationsto XML d

like a lot of these discussions, this one is in danger of slipping from
the point and confusing the mathematics with orthogonal semantics problems.

information as described by shannon is a mathematical concept. the use
of information is, if you like, a syntactic and semantic problem.

if you want to do an experiment of information (one that i hope to have
time to do on the weekend) try this.

method:
1. generate an ascii file of 1,000,000 random numbers. the same randon
numbers as integers, and the same randon numbers as an xml file

2. compress all three files using your favourite compression program(s)
and compare the resulting file sizes.

3. discuss.

now i haven't done the experiment yet, but if shannon is correct, they
should all come out about the same size.

which btw goes a long way to explaining why you can't really compress a
jpeg :)

rick