   Re: [xml-dev] Newbie question : accent, special chars,...

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 02:59:00PM +0200, Benoit Mangez wrote:
> Here is the content of a non-valid xml file :

> <Item  description="voici quelques caractères accentués : é ï è à
> utilisés en français"/>
>
> It's not valid because of the special chars inside attribute
> "description".

XML uses two term -- well-formed and valid.
As long as you actually use ISO 8859-1 for those characters, the
document should be well-formed.  It isn't valid because you don't
have a "DTD".  But I'll assume you just want well formed.

You didn't include the exact error message, so I can only guess that in
fact your file is in UTF-8 and not ISO-8859-1, so changing the encoding
may solve your problem.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/